4.23.2011

The Civil Wars...

Since I studied abroad for the first time, three years ago (?), I have been way lost and not up to date in music. I reignited an affinity for dance music (trance, house, funky house, drum and bass...etc), so that ruled my life. Right now, like many people I am playing Adele's newest album 21 over and over, but another duo has taken my interest. The Civil Wars....

My parents were deciding whether or not they wanted to go to this concert, included in the American Songbook Series a few months ago. My mom was listening to some of the songs on YouTube, to try to get a feel for the musicians they were thinking of going to see, the Civil Wars. Of course, from that moment on I got hooked.


The first song I heard was called "Poison and Wine." It was featured in a Grey's Anatomy episode. I think it's a beautiful song. The lyrics are so rich with the contradictions of love and life that we all seem to experience, ie.

You only know what I want you to
I know everything you don't want me to
Oh your mouth is poison, your mouth is wine
Oh you think your dreams are the same as mine
Oh I don't love you but I always will
[...]
The less I give the more I get back
Oh your hands can heal, your hands can bruise
I don't have a choice but I still choose you

This song is particularly and oddly meaningful to me, because currently, I find myself spewing contradictions in my fiction endeavors. Not only using words that contradict and do not link in describing the same thing, but a kind of contradiction in emotions. Maybe one day, I'll show you...

"Poison and Wine" is not the only song that is founded on contradiction in relationship. "To Whom It May Concern" is yet another love ballad, describing this love story that has yet to happen, and may never come to pass.

Why are you so far from me?
In my arms is where you ought to be
How long will you make me wait?
I don't know how much more I can take
I missed you
But I haven't met you
Oh but I want to
How I do
Slowly counting down the days
Till I finally know your name...

Not all of the songs featured on their album "Barton Hollow," are love songs, but many of them are. Some are more up beat than others. I don't know if it is the music that I truly appreciate. My sister says it sounds like "hick" music.


But it may be the lyrics and the harmonies and dissonances of the two's voices and the words that appeal to me most. There is a real poetry in their lyrics which I definitely appreciate; a sincerity and honesty that is sometimes lost in popular music today. The Civil Wars' lyrics demonstrate uncertainty in situations and emotions, giving reassurance that not everything is always black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love
xx